I don’t think I ever had that many comments on any of my Instagram stories as when I posted a picture of the butternut squash lasagne I had just made. 😅
I’ve been promising to write up the recipe and share it with you ever since so here you go!
- Olive oil
- 4 sausages – remove skins
- 1 small onion – chop finely
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Fresh basil – large handful roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp cream or sour cream
- Large butternut squash – peel, scoop seeds out and slice thinly
- Lasagne sheets
- 1 ball of mozzarella – slice
- 25g parmesan – grate finely
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick pan
- Break sausage meat into pieces and brown them all over, breaking up while it cooks
- Add onion and cook until the onion starts to soften
- Add paprika, season with salt and pepper and cook for a minute
- Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add basil and let it wilt into the sauce
- Stir in cream/sour cream and remove from the heat
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Add a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce into a baking dish, top with a layer of lasagne sheets, followed by a layer of butternut squash slices, followed by sauce and mozzarella. Repeat and make sure you end with sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes then sprinkle with grated parmesan and put back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes until the the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is nicely browned.
You can easily omit the sausage for a yummy vegetarian version.